Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Readiness for Change

In my line of work we talk a lot about the Stages of Change. Way back in 1983, psychology icons Prochaska and DiClemente developed this model to characterize where people are at any given point in the journey of changing behavior. Whether it's addiction, smoking cessation or whining, the idea is that people work their way through these stages and, quite often, relapse into old habits.

You know it's legit when there's a chart.

I would say I am currently squarely in the preparation stage. I'm aware of obstacles. I'm wanting and waiting to change. I can say I'm ready to change, but for the aforementioned obstacles. I'm taking steps to mitigate said obstacles and makes plans for success. I think J is here with me too, but if we were to gradate the stages, he's much closer to Action than I. But I can see it from here. It looks daunting, but also exciting. Like we're embarking on some grand, fat-melting adventure.

J and I have had our individual journeys into various realms of weight loss. Ups and downs, expansions and contractions, fit and flabby. Lately, things have gotten pretty out of control, and not in the good way. We could make our excuses for why we find ourselves in this position, and they'd be good ones too. But this blog is not a sob story. It is not a pity party. It's designed to be a chronicle for confidence and comebacks. An archive for accountability.

THE GOAL
Lose a combined total of 100 pounds by our fifth wedding anniversary. There will also be other fitness goals along the way, but this is the overarching one.  I want to find a counter or something...stay tuned.

THE PLAN
There are a few parts to this plan.  Numero Uno:

Weight Watchers.

Regardless of what you think of Weight Watchers (henceforth known as WW, because I'm just that lazy), this is the cornerstone of Fit Anniversary.  The model of WW has a few things going for it, and that's not even counting Jennifer Hudson looking bangin' in the commercials.

  1. It works.  At least for me.  First time around, my old college roomie, bridesmaid and good friend H and I did it when we lived together and I solidly dropped about 25 pounds and managed to keep it off for 3 years or so.  Since then I've had at least two other occasions when I was doing the WW thing on the regular and successfully lost weight every time.  The problem is actually doing it.  And going to meetings. 
  2. Accountability.  One of the core tenets of WW is that you have to go at least once a week, stand on a scale in front of another human being, and own up to the consequences of your decisions--the good, the bad and the misguided.  
  3. It's healthy. For realsies.  To be honest, part of me would really like to starve myself for a few days at a time, consuming only grapefruit and that disgusting concoction of cayenne pepper, maple syrup and a bunch of other crap J used to make when going on weight loss binges a few years back.  But that's not sustainable and, like I said, disgusting.  Besides which, I don't do well with wholesale deprivation.  Tell me I can't eat carbs and all I want is a loaf of crusty Italian bread slathered in butter. The nice thing about WW is that nothing is off limits.  I have a budget, I stay within it.  Easier said than done, but you get the idea.

The Plan Part Duex: 

Actually Exercising.

This is a toughy for both of us.  J is better at maintaining an exercise program once he's into it.  He also has things he enjoys doing, like swimming.  I, on the other hand, hate exercising.  I get no joy from the process or activity of working out. I don't mind sweating, I don't mind the after-aches.  But I am not one of those people who "has to" exercise.  My dear friend N is one of those awe-inspiring creatures.  I wish there was a bone in my body that felt this way.  So instead, I must force myself.  Here too, are some parts to this piece of the plan.
  1. Going to the gym.  I know, right?  Obviously.  This requires purchasing the membership to the gym of where I go to graduate school, which is actually very reasonably priced for both J and I.  It's hard to get past the droves of undergrad co-eds in their body-hugging work out gear while I sweat my ass off in oversized t-shirts and get red in the face. But...we can't afford much else, and it's a perfectly good gym if I can just go.
  2. Baby steps.  By this I mean things that are totally doable and small.  For example, taking the stairs whenever possible.  I'm not going to quit watching cooking shows or real housewives, but I will do situps or pushups during the commercials (another great idea from the illustrious N).  
  3. Active dates.  This is my favorite part of this plan. Hopefully this will include things like hiking pretty places around the city, rock climbing and other sorts of adventures.


Another rather large piece of my professional life is to do with words. Hopefully this blog thing will be yet another source of both accountability and support. So if you feel inclined to comment, please do. The same goes for the words I write. You can never really know how much power your words hold, but better to hope they are heard than to silence something that could make a difference.


Here goes nothing!

8 comments:

  1. You two are amazing and fantastic individuals, and I have every faith in the both of you to accomplish your goals! Sounds like you have a solid plan, so good luck - particularly with the exercise part, always my least favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck!!! I know you both can do it!! Hit me up if you need a hiking or adventure partner!

      Susan A.

      Delete
  2. So proud of you! (and really excited to be adding my first ever comment on a blog...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in for rock-climbing/hiking adventures! Two of my very close friends are doing WW and very successfully.. make sure you get the app for your i-pad/ i-phone, whatever gizmo. I'm sure you're already apprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Es jūs apbrīnoju, Arianna - tu esi stipra un skaista un vari VISU paspēt! KICK SOME ASS, GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you guys! Love that you are making this public, and therefore more accountable for it! I literally cannot say enough good things about WEIGHT TRAINING. It changed EVERYTHING for me. The only cardio I do is walking. Muscle revs metabolism!!!! It's how I get away with eating junk food in between my healthy meals :) So, once you've found your grove a the gym, pick up a bar bell and do some squats, lunges, dead-lifts, rows, etc. You'll see the difference on the scale and in the shape of your body. You can do it Ari!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very excited for you both! Speaking from experience, you are spot-on about WW. It gives you lifetime tools to draw upon. You have a lot of people cheering you on.
    xo, vk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go, Ari!
    I highly recommend taking classes at your gym. It may sound intimidating, but it's great for people who don't like exercise and/or are new to working out. The instructors help with your form and will push you a lot harder than you'd ever push yourself. You can check the class times in advance and plan accordingly. It's also a lot cheaper than a personal trainer :)

    ReplyDelete