Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Rain, Rain, Go Away

...and while you're at it, take all this other crap with you too.

I apologize in advance for my grumblings.  In my part of the world today, it is wet and dreary, and I in turn am listless and achy.
Getting Older Unfun Fact #58: If you ever hurt a part of your body whilst you were growing up, thought it healed and forgot about it, the rain will remind you.
A combination of this lovely weather, actually running on a regular basis (woot), spraining an ankle every other week all those years in volleyball (not to mention the time during West Side Story when I slipped on the ice at a cast party, effed up my ankle and still had to dance on it for two months) has left me with creaky bones and feeling whiny.  Oh, and I'm blocked in the writing department, which is making me really whiny, because I can't afford it.  Internship apps go out in t-minus 29 days, and I've got a slew of cover letters, edits, and essays to write. Not to mention, you know, my job, which requires me to make edits to prep manuscripts for publication, aka: writing.

Well, I'm not having any of it. Sorry, world. And readers. There will be no lexical gems in this post.  It's as if some impish spirit shoved a wad of gum into the gears of my brain, and now I'm mired in my stuckness.

You won't regret it. Promise.
There is an absurdly large part of me that wants to pack up, go home, park myself in front of the TV with a big bowl of popcorn and watch season 2 of Downton Abbey (incidentally, everyone should watch that show.  I don't even like period drama and can safely say that show is the shiz-nit).  Come to think of it, that may happen anyway, as popcorn is well within my points budget for today, though I will have to fight with J for reign of the television  And rather than just continuing to feel badly all day, constantly losing focus and then feeling guilty for not getting anything done, I'm more interested in doing something to feel better and getting on with my life.

Actually, this is a fairly novel approach for me. Not so long ago, the typical course of events in response to writers'/responsibility/getting crap done block would be to:

  1. Try harder.
  2. Try even harder.
  3. Stare blankly into space while chastising myself for not doing more/better.
  4. Lament my failure to accomplish things.
  5. Feel guilty.
Of course, the result here is exactly where I was in the beginning: not getting anything done. Only now I feel guilty and bad about myself, which makes it even harder to get anything done.  Ridiculous.  Not to mention entirely unhelpful.  

So in the interest of Fit Anniversary, and because I already gymed it up this morning, I'm trying a healthier tactic. I will go home, I will make the aforementioned popcorn (which is truly not that bad for you...also, I'm obsessed with my whirley pop), and allow myself to be stuck for a bit.  When I'm not feeling so stuck anymore, I'll try to do some things, write some things or clean some things.  Whatever I do, I will endeavor to actively avoid steps 3-5.  

And since I can't stop it from raining, I'll just have to sit with that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment